BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Audaxes and sportives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Paris-Brest-Paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2015 at 10:07pm
Well, it gives me no pleasure at all in admitting that the Dark Side was very poorly represented, both in terms of numbers and performance on Saturday's Kennet Valley 200km qualifier.

Out of 150 odd, there was a solitary recumbent rider, me, and I was 15 mins out of time. This equates to a Big Fail. And the first time I've ever been out of time on an Audax.

Without going into all the details....I rode 190km with the front disc rubbing on the pad without realizing, which, as you might expect, slowed me down. How come I didn't realize? Err....I just thought that after 8yrs away from the DS, I was off the pace [like I had none], although a great day for riding there was a not insignificant headwind for the first 100km, the bike was heavy, and all sorts of other excuses. All I needed to do was put the wheel in properly at the start. Shame and embarrassment ensued! In buckets at the time. Embarrassed I'd have got round ok otherwise.

I can only apologise and will be making amends !

Anyway....we go again and next up is The Dean 300 on the 28th.
Going to knock up another steel bike before then.

Edited by garryb59 - 09 March 2015 at 10:15pm
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2015 at 9:12pm
Better news on the qualifying front this weekend - I got round a very damp and gusty Dean 300km. Only just mind, but I got round nonetheless. It's a cracking ride, lots of variation of terrain but quite tough in places. The lumps, recumbents and very out of condition riders - what is to be done? Get training probably.

Done any qualifiers yet, Ian?
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2015 at 11:04am
Well done Garry, you're ahead of me in the qualifiers, i've got first 200k on Saturday (4th) it's the Double Dutch, so as flat as a pancake, weather looks agreeable too, bit of a northerly but not too bad, shouldn't affect me much and the return 3rd will be a tail wind - looking forward to it.

My 300 is actually a 400 on the 9th of May the Llanfairgogogoch etc etc, this i'm not so sure about, like you i need to get some longer rides in and do some doubling up, i.e. two consecutive long rides of about 75-100 miles/day.

Edited by Yanto - 02 April 2015 at 11:05am
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

Well, why not?

Yesterday I answered that question, I hate rides over 4-5hrs.

I'm not doing PBP
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 5:14pm

Well, why not?

Yesterday I answered that question, I hate rides over 4-5hrs.

I'm not doing PBP

Just curious, can you say more Ian?
This wasn't a calendar event you were on was it, but rather a solo ride?

Far from me to discourage a decision not to ride, I'm verging myself [and it's all utterly mad anyway - but's a reason too ride Smile], but you've had a sudden shift of interest without even doing a qualifier yet. Give yourself a bit more time maybe?
You'd be in good company there, and I bet you're a strong rider too.

Edit:...Ah sorry, just realized it was a calender event you rode - the Double Dutch.
Give it a couple of days and you'll be looking at the sites again :-)

Edited by garryb59 - 05 April 2015 at 5:17pm
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:01pm
This must be one of the quietest corners of the internet Smile

Anyway...an update, and for those that are not in the slightest bit interested, I've included the gpx route maps of the rides completed so far.

I've been wavering for months, but so far have completed The Dean 300, The 3Down 300, The Elenydd 300 and, after the Saturday just gone The Severn Across 400 [never have I been so shot after a ride...terrible preparation]. Interestingly enough, I've been the only dark sider on all four rides.

So, that leaves a 600, and they start on the 23rd. Even though I haven't entered anything, there are still options available, the booking page on the AUK site for the Bryan Chapman has even reopened for business...which is very tempting...and surprising. So we edge closer - closer to something I'm really sure not I want to do again Confused

The bike's holding up well - which is pleasing. And is holding up my speed noticeably very well on the climbs too. This is were time is so easily lost.

Oh the climbs, the dreaded climbs........what to do about the climbs? Just have to climb more I guess. And....drink less, sleep more, and [horror of horrors] train more. Just the basic things actually. Smile

Edited by garryb59 - 13 May 2015 at 10:07pm
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 2:05pm
Which way did you return to base after Membury on the Severn Across?
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by legs_larry legs_larry wrote:

Which way did you return to base after Membury on the Severn Across?

Not sure really. Headed Sarf East, got lost and ended up on this long straight road that took me into Slough Wink Got lost in Reading though!

Loads of folk did the A4 on Saturday, even some fast characters [what's wrong with these people?]. We was the pioneers Dave, back in the day, rebels Big smile

Edited by garryb59 - 14 May 2015 at 8:54pm
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:50pm
ISTR it being your idea. I was falling asleep at the wheel before Malmesbury and was thus incapable of having any...
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:32pm
Ok, so here we are again - all the qualifiers done now, with the Flatlands 600 being the final one the weekend just gone [May 23-24].

If ever there was a Dark Side friendly 600, then this could well be it. However, with averse weather, like all other Audaxes, this ride could also be well and truly awful too. It's a jaunt starting in Gt Dunnow, up through Boston to Goole on the humber, and looping back down through Lincoln among other places to GD. And eating an awful lot of junk food along the way [and believe me, guilt never comes into it].

The route:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3455798

Saturday was probably one of the best days I've ever had on a bike.

If anybody was wondering why Stuart Dennison wasn't racing on Sunday, well, he was 'ere on the Flatlands ride - exhibiting a Ratracer without the fairing. Turns out he did this ride last year too as a preregistration  PBP qualifier, which basically means he could enter this PBP earlier than the likes me of me that didn't do any such pre-qualifiers, and thus guaranteeing himself a place.

Registration opens for me on the 31st May.
We'll see.
On Saturday night between the hours of 1am and 5am, it was a definite No No....this is the last ever ride. This is madness and I hate it.
Driving back 18 hrs later, and events have already started to take on a different completion.
What is going on with all this stuff? It's just so crazy.

Edited by garryb59 - 25 May 2015 at 11:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic