BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Social Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Up for a ride?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Up for a ride?
    Posted: 20 June 2015 at 3:28pm
Here's the map for the ride on the 28th of June. I'm going to make the Show time 0900 unless anyone has reservations, if so I'm happy to push it back 10 or 1030. I've also added a beer stop at the Elveden Inn. Something to look forward to about 32km in. The total ride is 69km/43 miles and as usual the pace will be set by the slowest rider. We're out for a good time not a fast one. Davyboy and Brian have already informed me they're coming so hopefully some others can make it. As always the ride is open to anyone wanting to join us, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Vitals
Showtime 0900 at 28 June at Angel's Café 8 Chiswick Avenue Mildenhall Bury St. Edmunds IP28 7AY which will be open for a drink or a bite before we set off
approx. 32km ride to our beer stop, I'm pretty sure they don't start serving lunch until noon so packing a snack is advisable.
37km back to our starting point

http://www.elvedeninn.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z6oRe6P99rfo.kEoswV1WMu50&usp=sharing
cookie32

Edited by cookie32 - 20 June 2015 at 4:07pm
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 9:34pm

Well we pulled it off again. We set out thinking we may see a little drizzling, ha were we fooled. The rain was determined to have its way, but for some reason we had are fastest group ride to date, and I wager one of the funniest as well. I was joined by Dave on his Performer, Brian on his Bacchetta Giro, and Richard on his homebuilt AZ Warrior who drove in from Derbyshire (2hrs each way) I really appreciate that. Dave ended up doing over 65 miles, and Brian road over 80 before the day was over. Well done to both of them. I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I'll have to plan the next ride a bit further away from home so I can get in some extra miles. Thanks to the rain opening up as we stopped for our pint, one pint turned into 2. No complaints there, all in all a great time, hope you can make the next one.
I'm quite impressed with the spec of Richards (indeboat) Warrior. For the weight he got it moving quite well, well done Sir. Wish we would've seen a few more faces, but this won't be the last ride and the Mildenhall Rally will fast be upon us. Anyway I hope you enjoy the video, thanks again Rich, Dave, and Brian.

oh yeah please like and subscribe if you enjoy the videos on youtube, thanks.

Will

Edited by cookie32 - 30 June 2015 at 12:41am
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 7:28pm
Ok, this is for the ride on the 11th July. We will be riding to Nowton then back into Bury St. Edmunds for breakfast. Breakfast will be at the Station Steakhouse and Bar.
http://www.stationsteakhouse.co.uk/
We will be setting off at 0700 (sorry for the early start but one rider has an appointment in Nowton so the best push if any will be to 0730)
Leaving from:
Bury Road Filling Station
Bury Rd
Kentford
Newmarket CB8 7PZ
The map may change a little after hoarder reviews the route but it should be pretty firm.
as always all are welcome to join and feel free to contact me with any questions.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

I'm still working on the map for the ride on the 19th which will be leaving from Ely, I'm still working on the to where?
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 2:42pm

Here's all the details for the 19th of Julys ride. We will be setting off from Ely. The meeting spot is a car park with free parking just below Ely Cathedral, it's the first link below. We'll be stopping at point B on the map for food and drink. It's the Bird in Hand Pub, which starts serving at noon on Sunday. I reckon we should arrive just about the time they open. We do have a second option which opens the same time but has a nice shaded seating area that's connected to the Lark River, which is Judes Ferry. I've added links for both below. I figured we could decide on the day. There is little climbing on this ride, just a lot of long flat Fen roads for the most part. Providing the winds stays down, it should be quite a nice jaunt. Hope to you see you there, as always all are welcome. As it stands there are 3 of us on the books for the ride. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
There is also an active ride for 11th so don't get your dates mixed up.

Vitals:
19 JULY
0930 SHOWTIME
ELY CAR PARK AT CB7 4AH

Will

Forehill Car Park, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB7 4AH, UK
http://www.gkmeetandeat.co.uk/locations ... d-beck-row

http://www.judesferry.com/

Edited by cookie32 - 06 July 2015 at 9:52pm
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 2:50pm
Well that was a nice ride. Showed up at the rally point and Dave beat me there again. We waited for Jon to show up and he surprised us by showing up on the Lepus he has been restoring. He's done quite a good job bringing it back to life. The only regular missing was Brian, he had other entanglements. No guest riders this week.
We headed for Nowton to cheers on Jons daughter in a 5k run she was doing. She was nice enough to relieve us of any cheering duties so we could have a hot drink and chat away. After the run we headed back into Bury for some breakfast at the Station Steakhouse, it went down a treat.
I had a hard time editing the footage because it was so nice out. I guess that's a good problem the have. Thanks for reading and watching.
We have a ride on the 19th leaving from Ely feel free to join us.

https://youtu.be/o5JQ8hE9LBk
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 6:05am

I'm getting anxious for this Sundays ride. Looks like the weather has improved, so we're in for warm weather with partially sunny skies with a bit of wind. Makes a change from the chance of rain it has been teasing us with all week. Anyway hope to see whomever is considering the ride, until then cheers

Will

Edited by cookie32 - 16 July 2015 at 2:04pm
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 11:00pm

Well another great ride in the books. I'm running out of things to say about how nice these rides are. People are going to start thinking I'm making all this stuff up, it's a good thing I've got video proof.
I set off with wet roads underneath my tires and a light drizzle keeping me cool for the first 8 miles or so. By the time I reached Ely the rain had stopped and it was just overcast. The weatherman had forecast a sunny day with some clouds, and some winds which would come into play on our return to Ely. The weatherman got it right for once as the rest of day was lovely.
When I got to Ely I was surprised to be the first there. I was soon joined by Brian hauling a seat which Dave has been looking forward to getting his hands on. Dave showed up and after a bit of chit-chat we were set to roll out and then John came around the corner. That was a nice surprise, and after a bit more talking we set off for Littleport. We had quite a nice pace, and as the road/traffic were playing nice we made a good 17 mile push into our ride before pulling up and dropping our feet for a few minutes which was along the river in Lakenheath. We happened to see what we suspected was an Adder along the river bank in a Blackberry bush. For those of you that don't know an Adder is the only poisonous snake native to the UK. We headed from there to Judes Ferry in West Row to collect that pint that had been calling our names since we'd set off from Ely. We had our pint along Lark River, it went down to fast. Thanks for that Dave. Back on the road to Ely and things went smooth barring a little headwind as we hit the last 8 miles or so. My right thigh didn't appreciate the extra resistance by this point I was 47 miles in to the ride and was holding back some pretty good cramps. We made it back to Ely drama free though. It was a good time so thanks John, Brian and Dave.
I had another 14 miles to get home, and with the cramping I had to stop twice but I did it. A hard earned 67 miles my longest ride to date. Plus I can put a check mark in the metric century box. Well thanks for reading and watching hope you can join us on a ride one day.

Will
https://youtu.be/1A4vsw9Tb5k

Edited by cookie32 - 21 July 2015 at 12:26am
cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2015 at 7:52pm

Bit of short notice I know but looks like we're off for a ride. We'll be rescuing a kids trampoline from Northwold to be convert to a Lepus seat. Jon's thinking outside the box is coming on leaps and bounds. The ride is every inch of 50 miles with a  pub stop at Oxborough for anyone who'd care to partake. Weather looks ok for the ride but may deteriorate come early afternoon, so around the time we'd be getting back. Anyway, hope you can make the ride, and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Meeting at Angels Café Sunday @0800

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3194688-80km-50-mile-loop-mildenhall-stoke-ferry/

cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 11:24am
This Sunday's ride was a blast. Dave planned the route and Jon made some revision to it to keep us off any roads that were to busy. We met at the filling station in Kentford and left 4-deep (Jon, Dave, Brian, and I) expecting to meet a fifth enroute.
 Which came to fruition after the first climb. We were joined by Peter for the first time. He'd ridden quite a way to join up with us that morning as well, something like 15 miles. After a short introduction we were back at it. We had 3 good climbs and 3 or 4 short ones. With the highlight being our stop at the Udder room, which is really shaping up to be a diamond in rough.
 I decided to have a nice push out of Barrow and left the group which was a bad idea. We got spread out and Brian missed the turn off. I had to chase him down into Tuddenham while the others took a 1.5 mile run to our finishing point. Brian and I had to do a 4 mile loop, which is why Jon, Dave and Peter were waiting for us in the last clip.
 Special thanks to Peter and Brian for making the extra effort to join us. Good ride guys, can't wait for the next one. I'm going to recommend the ride from Ely to Cambridge.

cookie32 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2015 at 12:56pm
       Hello again my fellow riders, bent and otherwise. Looks like the Mildenhall Cycling Rally has finally arrived, I wasn't sure it was coming back around on the calendar for a short time but no, here it is. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and from the sounds of it some new ones as well. The weather looks to be in our favor at this point, no rain and in the 70's for Saturday and Sunday.

Right let's get down to business. Saturday morning I'd like to meet up @0930 just in front of the Middle School opposite the roundabout.(I've added a link of the rally site below)Once we get the hello's out of the way we can vote on were we'd like to go. Last years ride was a mixed group of recumbents and DF's and that suits me down to the floor, the more the merrier. There will be 3 others that ride with me regularly plus a fair few who're familiar with the areas around Mildenhall. This will come in handy if the group gets spread out or we do more than one route.

We'll follow the same criteria for Sunday, Meet up @0930 at the same spot and we can take a vote and decide where we'd like to go. Far as Monday I know most will be gone already but if anyone wants to do an early 20 or 30 before setting off I'm happy to entertain that with a nice loop around the villages.

For all those planning on attending see you soon. For those on the fence still, don't miss out on a great time.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=57 ... 74535&st=4

here's a video from last years ride  https://youtu.be/8fyOSVz41s8

Will

Edited by cookie32 - 24 August 2015 at 7:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic