BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Catrike 700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nitram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catrike 700
    Posted: 17 July 2020 at 8:19pm
I need the space and could do with the money so I'm having a clear out and as I seem to hardly ever ride the trike at the moment it's time to pass it on to somebody else for some fun and smiles.

For Sale: 2007 Catrike 700 - £900

More photos below

As you'd expect it's had a lot of changes since it came out of the Catrike factory 13 years ago.  It was originally black but I had it professionally powder coated 'midnight blue sparkle' 7 or 8 years ago. It's a metalic blue that looks lovely when the sun catches it.  It has a few marks and stone chips but overall is in good condition, it has 'helicopter' clear protective tape on some of the tubes and I I've attached a sticker with the old frame number after the paint job (I've got a photo of the original frame number on the black, pre-colour change). 

The seat fabric was upgraded a few years ago to the newer version which has three rear pockets, a water resistant one for your phone/wallet etc just underneath your right thigh, a pump pocket and a larger pocket that can take tools / snack / spares / small jacket on the left hand side behind your body.  The seat fabric is in great condition and hardly used with no rips or tears.

The front wheels have been changed from the original 16" (349) to 18" (355), this is a common swap, it improves comfort, increases ground clearance a little, raises the bottom bracket slightly and slackens the seat angle a tad but most of this is hardly noticeable when riding apart from the slightly increased ground clearance which really helps on some 'grass down the middle' lanes.  Technically this alters the steering geometry but you can't really notice any change to the steering which remains easy to control and very responsive.

The handle bars are easily adjusted to suit body shape, size and personal preference with the fore and aft position, distance from the centre line and angle from vertical all adjustable by simply loosening a few bolts. The thread on one of the bolt holes on the left hand bar has stripped, I've just used a longer bolt with a nut which holds just fine but you could get the hole drilled and tapped if the nut bothers you (see the pictures). There's a mirror on the right bar and a mount on the left that can be used for a computer / GPS etc.

It's currently set up for me 5'10", 32" inside leg (can't remember my x measurement) but has plenty of adjustment in the boom.  It will come out approx another 90mm for the super long legged while still retaining the minimum 120mm insertion and will shorten by sliding in about 40mm (if you need it even shorter it's simply a case of sawing a bit off the end of the boom).  At the moment there is plenty of chain length and capacity in the rear mech to enable boom movement for test rides and you can adjust the chain to optimum length if you buy it.

Originally it had a front mech but this was swapped out for a Schlumpf Speed Drive which has a 34 tooth chain ring.  The Schlumpf changes your front ring from 34t to the equivalent of a 53t top end with the flick of your heel to engage / dis-engage.  The main reason I fitted this was to make removing the boom simple for easier transportation and storage.  As the boom doesn't have a front mech with the chain going through it or the associated cable attached you just un-hook the chain, undo the boom quick releases and slide it out with no messing.  Makes putting it in a car or storing it in a small space so much easier.  The boom has a cable stop for a front mech and a computer / light mount stub.

It has a 9 speed 28-11 cassette with a SRAM X9 rear mech and X9 twist shifter mounted for the right hand (easy to swap to the left if you prefer).  This matched with the Schlumpf gives a pretty good top gear while still retaining some hill climbing ability.  The current rear mech setup will definitely work with a 32t probably a 34t and you could go bigger for a super granny gear if needed by using a mech dropper. 

The rear end is running a 700 wheel with a virtually new 28mm Bontrager tyre, this is about as big as you can go although some 32mm may fit, there's not much frame clearance behind your shoulders.  If you are more interested in comfort than speed you can swap in a 26" wheel with a fat tyre to keep a similar rolling circumference.  The front tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Racers with plenty of grip left, these are great tyres and suitable for general riding and touring but if you want a pure race machine you can fit something slicker.

Front brakes are mechanical Avid BB7 mtn in great condition which give great performance and easy maintenance and offer enough stopping power to lift the rear wheel in an emergency, while still being really easy to modulate during general riding.  There is also an official Catrike velcro parking brake strap on the left brake to stop the trike rolling down the hill when you get off! 

The original metal mounts for the headrest seized so were replaced with some plastic ones which are easy to adjust, work really well, and give a little bit of vibration damping if you use the head rest while riding.

The pedals and front light mount aren't included in the sale but the mirror, gps/computer mount, ass saver mudguard, bottle cage and flag are included.

Over the years I've used this for racing (I'm not very fast, but the trike is!) touring (can take a rack and behaves well with a trailer) and general day rides. It always puts a grin on my face and with a few simple component changes you can swap from fast racing demon, comfort all day trike or anything in between to suit your needs. At the moment it's a fast all day trike.

It has a few marks as to be expected for a well ridden trike of this age but overall is in good condition with plenty of life left in her yet and she deserves a good home.

The Trike is located on the Shropshire / Staffordshire boarder near jct3 of the M54, socially distant viewing available. I can't post due to the size but may be able to deliver in the West Midlands for diesel money.  For collection - with the rear wheel and front boom removed it's about 1.4m long so fits in many hatchbacks and small estate cars with the back seats down.

Price: £900
Model: Catrike 700 2007
Colour: non original Midnight Blue Sparkle
Front wheels: 18" (355) quick release
Rear Wheel: 700c quick release
Front Tyres: Marathon Racers reflex 40mm
Rear Tyre: Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case 28mm
Brakes: Avid BB7 mtn
Rear Mech: Sram X9
Shifter: SRAM X9 twist
Cassette: 9 speed 11-28
Front Gears: Schlumpf Speed Drive 1:1.65 ratio with 34t fitted (53t equivalent)
Cranks: tracer 170mm
Seat: Fabric, tension adjustable by straps, three pockets
Extras: Flag, Ass Saver, Mirror, GPS mount, handbrake strap, bottle cage, head rest, spoke reflectors on all three wheels

When a ball dreams it dreams it's a frisbee
When a bike dreams it dreams it's a trike
Nitram View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nitram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 8:37pm
I've had some questions about dimensions so here's some more info.  All measurements were done by hand so might might be a bit out but I've tried to be as accurate as I can. Excuse the far from brilliant drawing LOL

A: Overall length as set up for me with cranks vertical 81"
B: Length with boom & rear wheel removed 55"
C: Max height (top of rear wheel) 27"
D: Frame height (top of seat) 20"
E: Height at top of handle bars 21"
F: Seat height 8" (seat fabric hangs a bit lower in the middle)
G: Height to top of boom derailleur mount (as set for me) 23"
H: With rear wheel removed, height from bottom of derailleur to top of frame 12"ish
I:  Seat width 15"
J: Width with front wheels removed 25.5"
K: Overall width, (minimum doorway) 31.5"
L: Width at wheels with full steering lock (minimum doorway) 28.5"

Whoops - missed an obvious one - height to centre of bottom bracket currently 17"

If anybody wants any more details or particular photos just ask

Edited by Nitram - 19 July 2020 at 8:41pm
Nitram View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 7:27am
Price now reduced to £750. Grab a bargain and have some fun 🙂
Ethan View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2020 at 10:56pm
So .... very ... tempting ...

MartinQS View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinQS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 11:35pm
Would you consider delivering to Derbyshire
Ethan View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2020 at 10:47pm
Martin, you star, save me from myself!
Stuartnewall View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 7:24pm
Hi
Has the trike been sold?
Stuartnewall View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 3:33pm
Hi Just wondering if the bike has been sold?
Ethan View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 8:55pm
So, has this sold?
Nitram View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 10:53pm
Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I've only just had the notifications come through telling me that there have been new posts on this thread.

The trike is still for sale Smile I should be taking it to the Stourport race on the 24th if anybody wants to see it in the flesh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic