BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

How much Glass Fibre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much Glass Fibre?
    Posted: 07 September 2020 at 11:03am
Im having a go at making a streamliner. Im building a prototype at the moment, with plywood formers and glass fibre fuselage. Im aiming for a monocoque(?) eventually (cant afford carbon fibre at this stage!) so the fuselage is kind of structural. Most of the ply is just maintaining the shape - I hope! How thick does the fibreglass need to be? Ive bought some 300 gm chopped strand and thinking maybe 3 or 4 layers on the heaftiest areas. Is it ok to add layers later, after the original ones are set hard, if it doesnt look strong enough?
Thanks!
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:23pm
Most fiberglass faired bikes have a strong floor platform with a single skin lightweight top, on top. The club bookshop has an excellent book on building HPV's for not a lot of money. (the book that is)
All the best.
Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 08 September 2020 at 7:24pm
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:52am
Stix the book Roy refers to is called 'So You Want To Build an HPV'. You can by this via the online BHPC bookshop.

In normal times it is worth coming along to our BHPC races and having a chat with a homebuilder.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 9:49am
It would take you about 2 hrs to get to our next BHPC meeting at the Cyclopark on the 20th of this month. See the racing section.

Not sure if I'll have my new Velomobiel ready to race but I'll probably go to the meeting anyway as it's so close to me.

Good luck with the fairing whatever you decide to do.

All the best.
Roy

P.S. You wont need plywood formers, there are other lighter ways around it.

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 09 September 2020 at 9:53am
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:07am
Please don’t just turn up at Cyclopark.
Racing is by pre-entry only via the online shop. The situation regarding spectators WAS that people could come along if they were with a competitor but that may change given the announcement last night on tightening Covid 19 restrictions.
Ultimately it will be up to the venue and we’d hate to see anybody turned away after a long drive.
Hopefully we’ll be back to normal and able to welcome everyone soon.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:24am
Sorry Alan, I completely forgot, so much on my mind. I wanted to come along and test my transponder mounted on the After 7, but I don't need the whole machine for that so I was thinking I could just turn up and try running the panel past the antenna. I'm not sure if I'll have the whole Velo in a ready to race and transportable condition by the 20th. I don't mind paying to race, but is it acceptable to just turn up and try the panel to see if it works or should I wait until the AGM at Hillingdon? I'm pretty sure I'll have it race ready and transportable by then.

All the best.
Roy  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:29am
Honest answer is I have no idea at the moment.
Registrations are temporarily suspended.
We are hoping Gravesend will go ahead but we are waiting for clarification.
Hillingdon is very unlikely at this stage as it is in a public park.
We may need to find an alternative venue.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:56am
I'm trying to think of a way around the toilet situation if I offered to host the AGM on the farm. We have loads of space for camping even if it's social distanced pitches, and a back gate with direct access to the fields. We don't have enough toilets in our house for all the members though. Racing would have to be in the form of road time trials as well.

Brian has first hand experience of our facilities so it may be worth speaking to him. I'm sure he will have a lot to say about the idea.Wink

All the best.
Roy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:59am
The AGM is likely to be virtual via Zoom I think.
One thing we can be pretty sure of is that we won’t be able to gather a large number if people indoors in October.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 11:00am
Apologies for hijacking your thread Stix, these are not normal times!Cry

All the best
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic