BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

20" wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20" wheels
    Posted: 24 September 2020 at 3:48pm
I've just bought these from a renowned wheelbuilder.  However, there was synchronisation error in our email correspondence, and I felt obliged to buy them even though I was almost certain they wouldn't fit my bike!  So, they haven't had tyres or cassette fitted.  Oh, and I was right - they don't fit, as the bike's brake bosses are in the wrong place!

Sun CR18 silver rims 20" (406) 32 holes
Front Bitex black hub 32 holes - standard 100mm OLD for Quick release (no skewer)
Rear Bitex black hub 32 holes - 130mm OLD for Quick release (no skewer)
Black butted spokes
Rim tape installed

They're really nicely built, so I thought I'd offer them here rather than strip them down to (possibly) re-use hubs or rims with an alternative build.

They cost me over £300, so ideally I'd like around £270 for them.

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 4:58pm
Have you considered asking a frame builder to move the bosses?
All the best.
Roy
deejay View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 6:01pm
Thanks, Roy.  It's a titanium frame, which would make moving the bosses difficult/expensive.  I'm not really sure what to do at the minute, as all possible options are expensive, and I'm still trying to decide if it's worth throwing more money at the bike!
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 6:32pm
Worth getting a price I would have thought.
deejay View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 9:44pm
You're probably right, but I don't think it's easy finding a welder who is geared up to modify titanium bike frames.  It's been a few years since I looked, though, so it might be worth having another scout around.  
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 10:35pm
Why not watch a DIY video on YouTube maybe you could DIY?
All the best 
Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 24 September 2020 at 10:37pm
deejay View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 12:44pm
I doubt it!  Smile

I took a night course in welding with the expectation I'd have built a recumbent in 6 evenings...  The reality was I walked out with a few twisted offcuts of metal! 

I think welding titanium is even more complicated, as it needs to be done with inert gas, and I think it ideally needs to be done in some sort of chamber.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 4:10pm
Well not according to the guys posting on YouTube.
LWaB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 5:08pm
Sports level Ti can be TIG welded just with a torch with excellent gas shielding and filling the inside of the frame tubes with argon. Aerospace and nuclear big stuff is often done within a clear plastic bag filled with argon for better shielding. Only small stuff is done in a chamber.
deejay View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 5:10pm
Thanks for your encouragement, Roy.  However, in my experience there are lot of people posing as 'experts' on Youtube who don't have a clue as to what they're talking about, so it takes quite a bit of work to sift through videos to find accurate information. 

Being realistic, I just don't think I'd be able to weld a titanium frame.  There's the issue of skill, and I think it would take years for me to be able to make consistently good welds.  Also, I still think there's a requirement for a full inert gas rig.  I've just found an interesting video here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbC5Qlpjgw

I haven't watched it in full, but you can see the special frame inserts they use to pump argon into the frame, plus the 'cup' for the exterior weld. 

There might be other ways of doing it, and perhaps these measures aren't necessary for something like a brake boss, but I'd still be uneasy if these methods weren't used. 

I've had a quick look online, and Argos cycles are charging £45 per boss to reposition them (£180 for 4) on a steel frame.  I'm not sure if they're able to work on titanium frames, and when I tried to phone them just now their phone was on answerphone. 

I've just spoken to Enigma, and they can do titanium repairs, but I'll need to send them photos.  From our brief call they pointed out that they wouldn't have jigs for my frame, plus they said something about potential issues with 'breather holes' and overheating when welding in the same area as existing welds (my brake bosses might only need to be dropped 15mm, so that might be an issue).

Going by Argos' prices, and assuming it can be done,  it looks like it would cost a few hundred quid, plus I'd have to get the bike to them and back again.  However, as you say, Roy, it might actually work out cheaper than having to buy new wheels and brakes!  Having said that, I suspect I probably wouldn't go that route, as I'm not sure I would like the bike enough to spend that sort of money on it.

Edited by deejay - 25 September 2020 at 5:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic