BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Member's recumbent you may not have seen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member's recumbent you may not have seen
    Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:26pm
I thought I would post about my recumbent, which I don't see considered in the various posts here. It might be of interest.

After suffering a smashed up elbow in a MTB crash and then needing a replacement shoulder on the other side, I went looking for a recumbent to keep me riding.

I visited Spezi 2019 to try out a range of options and found the http://https://specbiketechnics.com/shop/tricycle-comfort-with-suspension - Comfort Trike from a company in Latvia called specbike technics to be the most agile and fastest that fit the bill as a MTB replacement.

Here's some pics of mine.

https://flic.kr/p/2nnbEY9 - https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52091913296_0f778614b8.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2nnegcz - https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52092418675_ce086983be.jpg

Next i'll be looking to fit a middrive so that I can restart my daily commute to work. I would recommend getting this bike with STEPS or something pre-installed, but I didn't spring for that at the time.

Hope this is of interest.

Edited by feet - 22 May 2022 at 10:31pm
feet View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 5:41am
Let's try that again. Pictures didn't insert very well...

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 6:55am
Disk brake on the back of a tadpole trike is unusual.
Most have just a parking brake if anything - you wouldn’t want to be applying a lot of braking force to the rear wheel at speed.

feet View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:22pm
Hi there, I do miss having a lockable parking brake to aid mounting / dismounting from the trike. But, on the other hand, it works well to drift round tight off-road bends at speed.

I chose this trike after trying the alternatives as it was the best performing off-road, bringing back the fun of my old MTB life.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 5:07pm
Mk 1 velcro strap would sort that, Shirley?

Natalya's trike (which has a similar both-front-brakes-on-one-lever arrangement as an adaptation for her hand impairments) has a disc brake on the back because it made swapping wheels slightly simpler.  The rear brake is controlled by the redundant left grip shifter (which she can't operate with her left hand, but can by leaning over and turning it with the right) for parking purposes.  I also fitted a normal brake lever with a cable splitter thingy, purely so that I have something I can control the speed with my left hand while signalling with my right when I use the trike for trailer-hauling.

Needless to say, it's also great for being silly on ice.
feet View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 8:46pm
Velcro strap sounds good for parking, but not for in and out multiple times when stopping to take photos or even falling out and getting back in (which happened for the first time on single track this weekend).

Love the idea of a thumbie as a parking brake. V.Clever. These brakes are hydraulic though...

I was looking to buy one of these from hasebikes

But they would only sell it to a bike shop, not to a punter, so it became a faff. Still looking for the right solution to not struggling up out of the trike.

Edited by feet - 05 June 2022 at 8:47pm
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 11:44am
Looks dangerous to me. What happens if you accidentally hit it at speed, say when hitting a bump? Leaving the rear brake on is the worst thing that's happened to me but I can't reach it while riding. I always remove them now and use a Velcro strap. No chance of a mishap or forgetting as it's impossible to activate or ride away without being aware it's engaged. 

All the best.
Roy

< id="BFI_" style="width: 1px; height: 1px; display: none;">

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 06 June 2022 at 11:45am
feet View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 1:31pm
Yes, good point
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic